Skip to main content

Too much of a good thing



 We went to the beach for what was supposed to be relaxing and great sensory input. Doc loved it the last two times we went. Now that school is out there are more people sharing the beach. Doc was fine for the first ten mins, then she started stimming. A little voice in my head said "Repetitive movement = too much change" Thank you, Danny from Asperger Experts! I asked her if she wanted to go sit for a bit, she agreed that was a good idea. She began to fuss and then "shut-down", I could tell there was a meltdown about to happen. I asked her what was bothering her, she didn't respond. So I gave her a few minutes. "Maybe she tired?" Horsey said. I didn't think so. After some time Doc answered my question very quietly. "Everyone here is really big and I'm tiny." She said. "There are tiny kids her too, see!" Horsey said as she was pointing to little kids running with sand pails. "No, I don't want friends, I want them to leave! The extra amount of people was the problem.  Then she started asking to leave and go home. So to be fair to the other kids I told everyone we had 10 mins and then we had to leave. Doc sat on my lap for that 10 mins "people watching". Three, Two, One times up! I said as I started packing up and headed to the car. By now everything was bothering Doc. Door didn't open fast enough, kids were in her way, straps in her seat were twisted and her towel wasn't folded right. Just then that little voice in my head said "Needing to control is also part of too much change." I took a deep breath and calmly buckled her in. She calmed down on the way home.
You never know what to expect on any given day. All you can do is know the signs, remove them or find a "safe place", and reassure them their ok.
Like us on facebook! 

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Night Before Christmas

This poem was written in 2008 by Cindy Waeltermann, who is the founder of the organization  Autism Link .  I just discovered it today on facebook ... Though many of you might like it... Twas the Night Before Christmas And all through the house The creatures were stirring Yes, even the mouse We tried melatonin And gave a hot bath But the holiday jitters They always distract The children were finally All nestled in bed When nightmares of terror Ran through my OWN head Did I get the right gift The right color And style Would there be a tantrum Or even, maybe, a smile? Our relatives come But they don't understand The pleasure she gets Just from flapping her hands. “They need discipline,” they say “Just a well-needed smack, You must learn to parent…” And on goes the attack We smile and nod Because we know deep inside The argument is moot Let them all take a side We know what it’s like To live with the spectrum The struggles and t...

Getting involved

So today I signed the family up to do a 5K in April "Walk for Autism".  I have been wanting to do a 5K and supporting a cause like Autism is a win - win for me.  A month ago today Tink was diagnosed with Autism - it has been a slow process so far, but I know help & support is coming soon for her. This walk will not only help raise money for families who struggle each day with challenges, but bring our family closer to each other.      Advocate ~ Educate ~ Love ~ Support

The Proprioceptive System

Proprioception is the process by which the body can vary muscle contraction in immediate response to incoming information regarding external forces, by utilizing stretch receptors in the muscles to keep track of the joint position in the body. SIGNS OF PROPRIOCEPTIVE DYSFUNCTION: 1. SENSORY SEEKING BEHAVIORS: __ seeks out jumping, bumping, and crashing activities __ stomps feet when walking __ kicks his/her feet on floor or chair while sitting at desk/table __ bites or sucks on fingers and/or frequently cracks his/her knuckles __ loves to be tightly wrapped in many or weighted blankets, especially at bedtime __ prefers clothes (and belts, hoods, shoelaces) to be as tight as possible __ loves/seeks out “squishing” activities __ enjoys bear hugs __ excessive banging on/with toys and objects 2. DIFFICULTY WITH “GRADING OF MOVEMENT” __ misjudges how much to flex and extend muscles during tasks/activities (i.e., putting arms into sleeves or climbing) __ di...