Skip to main content

The unknowing..

Today Tink met with the neuropsych. It's such a great feeling when you find a professional that is on your side and understands. I wish we found him years ago. Her testing will begin later on this month. On the way home my emotions flooded out, I hate getting upset in front of people. I don't want their sympathy, I don't want their pity, but sometimes even adults have meltdowns! 

Last night everything finally hit me like a punch to the gut. A week of high meltdowns from Doc, waiting for her results from the eval for an official diagnosis, worrying about getting her into an appropriate preschool and Tink's neuropsych finally boiled over in head. My mind is my worse enemy! I know this. I am a little better now. The fact that I have support through all this helps, a lot!

Tomorrow we go to meet a potential preschool for Doc. Her challenges are aggression, sensory needs, and potty regression. In a regular preschool setting will she succeed? I don't know. All we can do is try. 

Popular posts from this blog

Before you judge, understand why.

I really wish there were no judgmental people in this world, but there are.  Autism is a condition which is difficult for many to understand and, once again, our family has experienced ignorance. This post is to all of the people that have seen and judged my daughter lately - a six year old child sitting in a jogging stroller whining and crying, yelling and screaming, kicking her feet, repeatedly pulling the visor down and demanding things. This is what YOU see. You might think "What a spoiled brat!" or "She's too big for that stroller." She isn't doing it to get her way. This is Autism. Let me explain... She rides in a stroller because it's the safest place for her. Crowded, fast-paced and noisy environments cause her anxiety, which triggers a sensory overload and she tries to flee. She also has Joint Hypermobilty Syndrome   that makes her to become very tired and causes pain in her joints.   Although she tries very hard to conform anywhere sh...

Autism Night Before Christmas

This poem was written in 2008 by Cindy Waeltermann, who is the founder of the organization  Autism Link .  I just discovered it today on facebook ... Though many of you might like it... Twas the Night Before Christmas And all through the house The creatures were stirring Yes, even the mouse We tried melatonin And gave a hot bath But the holiday jitters They always distract The children were finally All nestled in bed When nightmares of terror Ran through my OWN head Did I get the right gift The right color And style Would there be a tantrum Or even, maybe, a smile? Our relatives come But they don't understand The pleasure she gets Just from flapping her hands. “They need discipline,” they say “Just a well-needed smack, You must learn to parent…” And on goes the attack We smile and nod Because we know deep inside The argument is moot Let them all take a side We know what it’s like To live with the spectrum The struggles and t...

Getting involved

So today I signed the family up to do a 5K in April "Walk for Autism".  I have been wanting to do a 5K and supporting a cause like Autism is a win - win for me.  A month ago today Tink was diagnosed with Autism - it has been a slow process so far, but I know help & support is coming soon for her. This walk will not only help raise money for families who struggle each day with challenges, but bring our family closer to each other.      Advocate ~ Educate ~ Love ~ Support